- Holistic Approach
- Academics at BMSIT&M
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
- Information Science & Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Master of Computer Applications
Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning
- Library and Information Resource
- Time Table
- Study Material
- Student Empowerment
- Training & Placements
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D)
Categories of Candidates and Other Requirements
The eligibility requirement for candidates to get admitted to the Ph.D. Programme shall include the following:
There shall be provision for the following categories of candidates for admission to Ph.D.
- Full-Time: Candidates who shall pursue Ph.D. research on full time basis,
- Part-Time: In-service candidates having a minimum professional experience of one year after his/her UG Degree from among faculty members working in any Engineering College / Polytechnic / University / Deemed to be University (recognized / accredited by appropriate bodies in India) or research staff of public / private organizations, are eligible to pursue Ph.D. on a part time basis.
- Full-Time/Part Time (Special): NRI/FN/PIO candidates under these groups shall be eligible for either Full Time or Part Time. However, the candidates shall have passed the UG / PG programmes with medium of instruction in English or qualified in TOFEL/ELTS, or equivalent. The candidates shall be able to communicate and submit the thesis in English language only.
- Dual Degree: Students studying M.Sc.(Engg.) by Research /M.Tech., may be allowed to upgrade to Ph.D. as applicable.
- Distance mode: Students who have obtained PG degree in Engineering/Science disciplines through distance mode are not eligible. However, candidates with MBA & MCA degrees obtained through distance mode may be allowed as per UGC/AICTE norms in this regards. Study leave / Employment / Clearances
Minimum Qualifications to be Satisfied
The minimum academic qualifications to be satisfied by the candidates seeking admission to the Ph.D. Programme, shall be as given below in respect of the different Faculties:
Faculty of Engineering
- The candidates shall possess a Master’s Degree in Engineering / Technology or equivalent from the VTU or any other University recognised by it, with a minimum CGPA of 6.75 out of 10 or First class at either the Bachelor’s or the Master’s Degree in Engineering & Technology discipline.
- The candidates pursuing M. Tech. Degree at the University who have successfully completed the prescribed coursework in the first three semesters of study with outstanding merit of either a minimum CGPA of 7.75 out of 10 or 70 % aggregate marks and demonstrated good research aptitude shall be eligible for up-gradation to M. Tech. + Ph.D. Integrated Dual Degree Programme, subject to approval by the Admissions Committee.
Faculty of Science
- The candidates shall possess M.Sc. Degree in Physics/ Chemistry/ Mathematics/Nano-Technology Library Science/ Physical Education/ MCA from a recognised University with a minimum CGPA of 6.75 out of 10 or First Class at either the Bachelor’s or the Master’s Degree.
Relaxation of Minimum Requirements
A candidate belonging to SC / ST / Category-I / Physically challenged or any other reserved category as notified by GOK from time to time shall have a relaxation not exceeding 5 % or equivalent grade in the minimum prescribed qualification level for the general category of students.
The Master of Science in Engineering by Research
Eligibility for Registration
Admission to the M.Sc.(Engg) by Research Course shall be open to candidates who satisfy any of the following requirements:
- Candidates who have passed B.E. / B.Tech. Examination of VTU or B.E. / B.Tech. of any other recognized University, recognized by this University as equivalent thereto or any other examination recognized by this University as equivalent thereto and have passed the prescribed qualifying examination with not less than 60% of the marks in the aggregate, in the examinations of the semesters considered for the declaration of class/grade. However, a relaxation to the extent of 10% shall be allowed for candidates belonging to SC/ST and any other category as notified by Government of Karnataka from time to time;
- Teaching / Research Staff / Teaching Assistants, working in any Engineering College and Polytechnic Institutions recognised by AICTE either in the State of Karnataka or outside, who have passed B.E / B.Tech. Examination and put in a minimum of one year of teaching experience in Engineering Colleges / Research Organisations and sponsored by the respective Institutions / DTE in case of aided institutions;
- Employees of the State Government/Central Government/Quasi Government Organizations/Public Sector Industries/Reputed Private Industries, who have passed B.E./B.Tech. Examination and put in a minimum of one year of working experience and are sponsored by the concerned Organizations;
- Awardees of research fellowship by nationally recognised bodies like CSIR etc., provided they have B.E. / B.Tech. Examination and put in a minimum of one year of working experience;
- NRI/FN/PIOs who have passed the B.E. / B.Tech. or equivalent examination recognised by VTU as equivalent to UG Engineering Degree Programme, with medium of instruction in English or qualified TOFEL/ELTS. Such candidates shall be able to communicate and to submit the synopsis of Dissertation work in English language only.
In addition to the above, the candidates shall be qualified in GATE or equivalent National Level within the immediately preceding five years or in the University level Research Aptitude Test, the result of which shall be valid for a three-year period.
The candidate shall submit his / her application for registration to the University in the prescribed form along with other necessary documents viz., degree certificate, marks cards of all examinations, employers’ certificate and no objection certificate from the employer, consent of the Guide, through the Head of the Institution where the candidate intends to do research.
Recognized Research Centers
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering