NPTEL is a joint venture of the IITs and IISc, funded by the Ministry of Education (MoE) Government of India, and was launched in 2003. Initially started as a project to take quality education to all corners of the country, NPTEL now offers close to 600+ courses for certification every semester in about 22 disciplines.
The students and staff should do NPTEL online certification courses for the following reasons:
- Largest online repository in the world of courses in engineering, basic sciences and selected humanities and management subjects
- YouTube channel for NPTEL – most subscribed educational channel, 1.3 billion views and 40+ lakhs subscribers
- More than 56000 hours of video content, transcribed and subtitled
- Most accessed library of peer-reviewed educational content in the world
- Translation of more than 12000 hrs of English transcripts in regional Indian languages
NPTEL Local Chapter Policy Document
Proposed List of MOOCs (NPTEL July-December 2023 timeline) for B.E. Degree Honors:
- Enables the student to directly engage and learn from the best faculty in the country in that particular subject. This strengthens the fundamentals of the student in the course
- Gives the students the opportunities to explore new areas of interest – which are not possible in a regular college environment.
- Faculty can use these for career progression.
- The audience in a MOOC includes students spanning the length and breadth of India and a small fraction of foreign students. This mix of peer groups gives the students a chance to assess where they stand with respect to this group of learners.
- These courses also bring out the self-learning initiative of the students – where their own motivation is what drives them to complete the course and not external compulsions. This fosters the habit of keeping oneself updated always by means of self-study.
- The certificates issued bear the stamp of the institute offering the course and hence are valuable additions when the students apply for jobs.
- Companies can also recruit from this pool of candidates with specialized skills.